Thursday, February 4, 2010

Learning Curve

Disclaimer: This post does not in anyway reflect the opinion of my institutes of learning (now or in the past). Neither does it reflect the actions or perception of my friends. It was purely meant for me to vent and avoid my blog from being without a post ...

Being in my current learning institute, I am power charged with the spirit of self directed learning (no really, when I first heard this, I was in awe - like a small boy being introduced to the concept of television).

excited betul!

It was designed so that, students will self check their own work. We would decide by ourselves the amount we NEED to read (greatly influenced of course by the amount we WANT to read). Now, especially in clinical school, we are expected to go to wards and learn as much as we NEED ...

With many sub-topics in mind, I was hit by the recent idea that was "if I feel that I am not able to learn from this session (seminar, PBL, TBL, CP, clinic, community visit etc), I am not going to attend it".


Hehe another disclaimer: this is not me :P I just like the view :P

So, how true is this statement?

In truth, one can learn anywhere and everywhere. Even bad situations can be beneficial to teach is what not to do. Plus, after broadening my horizon of other medical schools (haha - honestly, the view is probably a tunnel vision field but humour my delusions for this post yah!), I have realized the "golden opportunity egg" which my institute of learning sits on. Our clinical exposure is so vast that we do feel natural in the health care setting (not always but usually yes).



But, in a situation, that one cannot feel the benefits (be it because the environment is not suitable, we ourselves are not prepared, the possibility of doing other priority stuff etc), should one be given the option to not attend? We are constantly reprimanded to behave like adults and make decision to help ourselves, hence, is this not a decision made to help ourselves.

Of course, in any decision in life, there are pro and cons. Sometimes the boon and bane weigh differently on the scale depending on ones desire. In a nutshell, "a lazy person can come up with all the excuses in the world to justify slacking off and well as a hard working person can justify his spirit".



Just some thought to ponder upon ...

1 comment:

chua said...

Education wise, it is one of the learning methods but how effective is quite personal.it is hard work, it prepare u for the future but sometimes the institute forgot that the present hurdle need to b overcomed b4 one can think of the future. either way each has its plus and minus.